Saturday 6 October 2012

Day 5

Hi Readers

Hope you are all well, this bright Saturday.

Yesterday was 'Jeans for Genes" day.  Since moving office & being informed that we were not allowed to wear jeans to work anymore, (approximately 5 years ago), I was forced to hang mine up.  Which thinking about, it is what made me have to think about how I wanted to dress for work every day.  It is also when I started to build my wardrobe.  Although I constantly tell my daughter that she has way more clothes than me, I actually know that it is a lie. I try lying to myself on a daily basis, but the truth is... here we go, 'I need to own it', I do have a 'healthy' (that's as far as I'm prepared to go) wardrobe. That is mainly because I buy a lot of classic bits that never really date.  (Well that is my excuse anyway...) Truth, is I just love clothes!

I'm in that time of my life when 'I'm doing me', and I need to step into my light and own it.  I however have a few people to Thank for that, firstly myself for finding the strength to accept my faults, and love myself anyway. My amazing daughter who is constantly inspiring me with her Strength, determination and encouragement, Zen & Mau.  The last two, you know why.

Anyway back to yesterday's  'Jeans for Genes" day.  This was probably the easiest pick of outfit for me, as all I had to do was chose a top, shoes and jewellery, that would still say office wear.

So here's what I chose

Jeans 4 Genes Day
Out door edition
Zara Nude heeled pump


        


My jeans are low slung, straight cut from New look.  I love the colour's nude and camel.  For me they have an element of sophistication and simplicity to them.  My top  which is nude & cream is from French Connection & has ruffles around the collar & arms,

As the pic of me yesterday isn't as clear, this is it worn last December at a birthday party,  

Geek chic by Brett J

My shoes (photo above) are from Zara (My absolute favourite shop & guilty pleasure) have a hidden platform and a flower made from the same leather as the shoe.  All items are a few years old, but I imagine most of you have similar items, that you can put together with a pair of jeans, which makes you feel like you are still dressed for the office, but with a bit of a twist simply because you have thrown in a pair of jeans.  My Jewellery I keep simple, faux pearled Studs as the ruffles of my collar has enough going on & I choose not to wear anything around my neck.  I finish with Cream bracelets.

The photo on the right is simply my outdoor garments added, to keep out the cold and the rain. My Camel floppy hat is from H & M last Autumn which I love, as it has the ability to change the look of an outfit in an instant.  The scarf from Primark & the Quilted Jacket is actually my daughters & from Dorothy Perkins. 

How many of you took part in  'Jeans for Genes" day?  Did you think out your outfit, in relation to the environment the you would be in?  Or did you think "oh Jeans, that doesn't require dressing up"?

Jeans have the tendency to make most of us think, we really don't need to make an effort, or think about our general appearance too much.  But the truth for me is, that you can dress jeans up and down & create different outfits that work for different occasions.  Wearing a pair of jeans, doesn't just say, sloppy, comfortable, baggy, or scruffy to me.  They say all that and more.  How many of you have jean that fit you properly?

Believe me, I know they are hard to find at times.  The trick is, 'if they don't 'fit' you' or 'make you feel great', leave them in the store.  Some tips are; All stores cut their jeans differently.  If you have heavy thighs like me try Dorothy Perkins, and don't just pick up your usual size, take the two sizes around your size into the changing room with you too.  You might surprise yourself.   We are all different shapes and sizes, so not all jeans are going to look good on all of us.  There are also lots of different styles out there, so decide which one suits your shape the best and if you don't know, take a photo of yourself in the mirror of the different types you try on, and be honest with yourself about which one actually looks better on you.  Don't worry if you don't look like Beyonce in your photo, you don't have the benefit of Photoshop, so you won't. Remember also be aware about what your buying your jeans for, weekend wear, evening wear etc?  As, if you buy jeans to wear with heels it will mean you will have to adjust it, if you want to wear them with flats.  You can turn them up, but you cannot extend them if they are too short. 

I am hour glass in body shape.  I'm also short, with heavy thighs and knees, so I struggle to get jeans that make me look and feel great, as much as the next person.  They can also be a bit of a nightmare, if you have on low slung ones.  I tend not to wear them if I am going to do a lot of sitting, as they will inevitable ride down when you sit, and expose way more than you wish for.  So think about where you are going to be,  or take appropriate stops to avoid exposure before you do so,  A long vest tucked into them works, as well as tops with long backs that are currently on trend now, like this one.  It disguises a tummy which we all have, as well as hiding any exposed part, we don't want on display.
Black dip hem tunic
Top from River Island

If jeans are not supposed to be cropped, don't wear them like that either.  Some have the ability to roll them up and make them look great, but most of us don't.  Make sure they are a good length on you, and they fit you.  The belief that if you wear clothes that are lose, they will make you look smaller, is something I believed for years.  How wrong was I.  It actually has the totally opposite effect.  It makes you look larger, and shapeless.  Believe me when I tell you, I only realised my hour shaped body around 5 years ago, but that is a whole other story, one that I can probably talk about for hours,  but will leave to another time.

As it is Saturday, I still have loads to do, as well as get ready for one very beautiful ladies 30th Birthday party later, so I will say 'have a lovely weekend', (what is left of it) and see you in the week.  I will try to post a photo of my chosen outfit for the party later, if i remember to take a pic that is.

See you soon


Stylish AT50 

2 comments:

  1. Love the outfit. Loving the blog. I wore Skinny VB Jeans with flat boots & my cream Baggy Jumper. Didn't take a photo though, but I felt good & that's what counts.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good for you. Take a pic next time. Love looking at photos of other people. It gives me great inspiration.

    ReplyDelete