Saturday 8 December 2012

All that Glitters!





Hi Readers,

Hope you are all well on this bright cold Saturday.  The week has been a busy one & the coming one is about to go up a whole other notch.

The struggle of fashion against freezing temperatures is becoming more and more difficult, while trying to fend of the blistering wind that swirls around my office block.  To top things off, the heating system at work wasn't working for the first two days of the week & although I'm usually a person who feels the cold, I didn't as much this week, but that might have something to do with my thermals.  Mentioning I had them on when checking whether my team were warm enough, was meet with lots of laughter, until  I reminded them that I wasn't sitting at my desk in coats hats & scarves. 



On Monday I choose a Navy & grey pin stripped Shirt from Victoria Secrets, a Navy wool Skirt Tulip from Great Plains, a Grey H&M blazer & Navy a grey shoes from Office. 




Tuesday I went back to my animal print peplum, shown in earlier blog, black bubble pencil skirt both from Tu at Sainsbury's & pumps, my bag is also from a previous blog & years old.  This time I work jewellery with my top, but kept it plain but chunky. 



On Wednesday I once again opted for warmth as well as style & went with a Black polo neck, black 3 qtr length trousers, black blazer  & wellies & added a simple perspex Necklace from French Connection.





Thursday's choice is a long pleated wool H&M skirt, which is so thick it's ideal for keeping winter conditions out, a white frilled blouse also from Victoria Secrets, black fitted blazer,  again with my wellies.  As I was actually on duty, & supposed to be in uniform with a pink neck scarf, as a compromise I added a pink Rose necklace.



Friday, was my team's Christmas lunch, so I went with Green.  I took a cream Tu top with scalloped collar, added a printed pleated skirt from Zara's 2012 summer sale @ £10, a green H&M blazer (also 2012 summer sale @ £15) & black studded pumps from New look.  So you can still spend small amounts & feel great.  Green was right on trend this year & although it wasn't in your face in every shop, there were little bits around that I accumulated unconsciously, which I was then able to make up an outfit out of.

I especially liked that it wasn't everywhere & most people would ignore it, as it is slightly out of the box.

Here are two of the accessories I picked up that complimented my look.




All that Glitters, IS NOT GOLD


jewel print midi dressChristmas is the season for embellishment & bling.  There are ways to get it right & ways to get it so very wrong.  Here are two examples of embellishment overload

where they have taken it to another level.  If you're 18 - 22 a little quirky in your style, then you might 'just' get away with the fitted dress, but for the rest of us, it's likely you'll just end up looking like a Christmas tree with all the trimmings.   If you're over 40, the other one is probably still something only you mum should wear, unless your aim is to scream look at me for all the wrong reasons.                                                   


detail on front of midi dress
Asos Midi dress
Here's an example of a dress with jewels.  They're effective but just enough to make a statement.  For those of you who watch Eastenders, "Who's dress sense do you prefer, Kat or Tanya.  I'm with Tanya all the way, a real woman's body & always looks presentable enough to not get the 'Really!' look.

There is taking glitter that little too far, which Kat does all so well.  Although she stands out, consider whether it is for the right reasons.  If your aim is to do the same you can, but do it for the right reasons.  Remember there's good attention & negative attention. Decide which one you want when buying a little embellished number.
 Thumbnail 1If you are more of a free flowing dress kinda woman, here's an example of something you might feel that little bit more comfortable in.
Warning, if you want to cover your arms & you are a curvier lady do not, under any circumstances use a 'cardigan shrug'.  Another of my Pet hates, but I'll cover that in another blog.  There are lots of lovely shawls, jacket shrugs or large scarves out there, that you can wear instead.                                                                         


Here's some examples of embellished pieces that you could add to your wardrobe, that can be paired with much simpler items, to avoid being the one that gets it wrong.

Asos £45 Sequined Maxi





Purple (Purple) Tall Purple Sequin Pencil Tube Skirt | 261515350 | New Look
Pencil Tube Skirt New look £10
                             If you have long perfect pins, the maxi skirt is a great piece. A down side to sequins is, you cannot get away with it all year round, so I would take caution in not spending too much money on a piece, if you're on a tight budget.  If you're heavy set from the waist down, be careful that what you choose doesn't make you look bottom heavy.                         

 If like me you are large busted be careful with Sequined tops or glitter & sequins on the top half of a dress.  The shine will just accentuate your bust even more. Unless this is your intention of course.  This top works well with A line skirts, trouser suits or dressing up a pair of jeans.  You can also find vest in the same material, which are reasonably priced.
This M & S cardigan can brighten up a plain shift dress, it's a great piece that can be added to a work dress if you are going out straight from the office.
M & S cardigan


Or you could go for a really plane dress or two piece & make your shoes the statement piece.

  


Here are two of my personal favorites.  They're simple, on trend & can be worn anytime of year, not just at Xmas.                

Hope that helped you if you were looking for inspiration.  Until next week, I'm off to get ready as meeting up with friends for a Christmas Special at Da scalzo's, Victoria, where my daughter, her acoustic guitarist Andy Black & her choir are going to entertain us.



Have a lovely weekend people.


Keep warm



Stylish AT50






Email;    Stylishat50@gmail.com
Facebook;    Stylish AT50

No comments:

Post a Comment